J'aime ma vie ! et vous?

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Under the Duvet - Shoes, Reviews, Having the Blues, Builders, Babies, Families and Other Calamities by Marian Keyes


After a long, exhaustive academic period I gotta chance to visit my girl friend at Galle. She was also having an academic break but unfortunately it was her study leave :( So I had to find a way to kill my time; first day morning - no option, started re-reading John Grishams' Runaway Jury! and Dulangi (my friend) was studying Gyn & Obs (that was what i was thinking) but she was giggling then and there looking at her notes. I was thinking 'what's so funny about studying some 70 to 80 boring lecnotes' and had a glance over her notes. Voila! My dear old friend has never changed, she was reading a nicely printed, hard covered book with the title "Under the Duvet". The cover it self looked funny and it was a non fiction (i seldom get a chance to read 'em) At the very moment i asked for that book and she was like "NOooo Way.."
Now what! I gotta grab that book from her smhow & the best way was to blackmail her :)) I made her feel guilty, for reading novels during a study break. ( Low marks, No merit, Internship in rural area, No coming home for months blah blah) Yuppy! Finally grab hold of the book.

Under the Duvet is a collection of personal essays on office parties, shopping, driving lessons, family and many other mishaps faced being a public figure. The best thing is that u can start reading from any chapter u want and believe me u won't give up reading it. It's funny but real!
It's a common fact that women(not all) crave for jewelry, perfume, dresses and fancy little ornaments and for Marian she loves shoes and LTFs (Long Term Friends). Marian has her own way of observing life .

"Some people take to their beds to escape from their lives; Marian Keyes takes to her bed in order to reflect on her life. She really does spend her days "under the duvet," comfortably propped up on pillows and typing away on her Sony Vaio laptop. Meanwhile, her husband of nearly a decade, Tony Baines, keeps the home and business fires burning from a more traditionalworkplace downstairs, communicating with his wife via a dedicated telephone line"
-------------quoted from a reveiw by Bethanne Kelly Patrick

Anyway she was lucky to have a supportive husband like that with so much patience... (there r only handful in some countries)


Extracted from chap 1:
" When people ask me what I do for a crust and I tell them that I'm a novelist, they immediately assume that my life is a nonstop carousel of limos, television appearances, hairdos, devoted fans, stalkers and all the glitzy paraphernalia of being a public figure. It's time to set the record straight. I write alone, in a darkened bedroom, wearing my pj's, eating bananas, my laptop on a pillow in front of me. Occasionally -- it usually coincides with promoting a book -- I am led, blinking, into the daylight, and when I try to talk to people, discover that I'm not able to, that I've become completely desocialized. And as for being mobbed by adoring fans -- I'm never recognized. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken. I was in a shoe shop (where else?), and when I asked one of the girls if she had any of these sixteen shoes in my size, she looked at me, put her hand on her chest and gave a little gasp. "It's you!" she declared. It is, I thought, thrilled to the marrow. It is me -- I'm famous! "Yes," the girl continued. "You were in the pub last night, you were the one singing, weren't you?" I was so disappointed I could hardly speak. I'd been nowhere near any pub the night before. "You've a great voice," she said. "Now what size do you want these shoes in?"

"Under the Duvet" is hilarious and yes i'm gonna read Marian Keyes' "Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married" soon.

Just pay a visit to Marian Keyes Book site: http://www.mariankeyesbooks.com/index.html



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home